Hinterland connectivity is critical in ascertaining port viability. Karaikal Port is well placed in this regard. The strategic location of Karaikal Port allows easy access to the industrially rich hinterland of Central Tamil Nadu. The Port offers a clear advantage, both in terms of distance and accessibility, to the primary hinterland which consists of districts such as Nagapattinam, Thanjavur, Cuddalore, Perambalur, Ariyalur, Pudukottai, Trichy and Karur.
The port offers shorter distances along with better connectivity and accessibility to customers in the secondary hinterland which consists of districts such as Coimbatore, Namakkal, Dindigul, Erode and Salem.
Advantages – Logistical Proximity
Hinterland connectivity is critical in ascertaining port’s effectiveness. Karaikal port is well placed in this regard. The strategic location of Karaikal port allows easy access to the industrial rich hinterland of Tamil Nadu.
- Perambalur : Cement
- Ariyalur : Cement, Sugar
- Thanjavur : Agro based Industries, Sugar & Coconut
- Nagapattinam : Cottage, Agro Industries & Power Plants
- Trichy : Steel, Engineering & Timber
- Karur : Paper, Textile, Sugar & Bus Body Building
- Pudukottai : Straw based industries, Agro based & Aggregates
- Namakkal : Poultry, Textile Weaving & Truck Body Building
- Mettur : Power Plants
- Salem : Steel & Textile
- Erode : Sugar Mills & Textile
- Coimbatore : Textile, Motor Pump sets & Engineering goods
- Dindigul : Lock & Safe Manufacturing, Food Processing
- Nilgiris : Tea
- Tirupur : Garments