The terminal will supply regassified natural gas to the customers connected to the Cauvery Basin Natural Gas Pipeline who are currently facing a shortage of 0.6 MMTPA of Natural Gas to meet its existing demand. The additional demand of City gas distribution is also expected to be catered through this terminal. The terminal will also cater to switching demand of high cost alternate liquid fuels through LNG Road tankers to various customers located in central Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry state which are not connected to the pipeline grid.
KPPL in collaboration with a leading LNG player is developing a 1 MMTPA LNG re-gasification terminal at Karaikal Port. The proposed terminal is located 4km away from a tie-in point on GAIL’s 276km pipeline, providing connectivity to gas- starved customers.
- Environmental clearance received in November 2018
- Potential off-take is expected to be 1 to 2 MMTPA over the next 5 to 7 years
- The project involves a permanently moored FSU (Floating Storage Unit) inside the breakwater at the terminal and will store the LNG
- The re-gasification facility will be developed on shore through 125 mmcfd re-gas modules
- The re-gasified gas will be pumped through the GAIL gas pipeline to customers
- The terminal will have LNG truck-loading facility to cater to customer’s demand through trucks
Karaikal Port is envisaging setting up a LPG terminal with a strategic investor to cater to the demand of LPG market within its Hinterland.
POL/ CHEMICAL storage Terminal:
Upcoming POL tank farm with 50,000 KL capacity can handle class A,B & C Products. Karaikal Port is working with CPCL on the proposed 9 MMPTA CBR Refinery expansion which is expected to be operational by 2022. The port has the potential to handle upto 14 MMTPA of Crude, Petroleum and Chemical products.
Upgrading/addition of existing Tank Farms:
- Karaikal Port has existing capacity of 19,000 KL and will be adding 12,000 KL to the existing tank farms.
- The tanks can handle products like Bitumen, Sulphuric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Caustic Soda Lye, Lube Oils, etc..,